Duration: Two weeks (July 14, 2019 to July 27, 2019)
Participants: Rising 11th and 12th grade high school students at the time of application
Location: University of Michigan Medical School
This program is offered free of charge to all selected participants.
The first step in planning for the future is making sure you are ready for the challenges that lay ahead. The Michigan Health Sciences Pre-College Exposure Academy (MHSPEA) is an entry-level residential academic enrichment program that brings together highly motivated rising 11th and 12th grade high school students to gain exposure to health professions and what it takes to be successful.
MHSPEA is designed for participants who typically come from groups underrepresented in medicine, medically under-served areas or have an interest in combating health disparities. Our goal is transform medicine through development of highly qualified students who want to become future leaders in health science careers.
In the program you will have the opportunity to:
- Take college prep courses that are essential for a successful career in health sciences
- Learn about college and SAT preparation
- Attend workshops on health disparities, health equity, introduction to research, and academic wellness
- Take tours of the University of Michigan central campus, Medical School and Michigan Medicine
- Receive one-on-one and small group mentoring, academic coaching, and intellectual and social stimulation from student group leaders
- Enjoy fun-filled evening events highlighting cultural diversity, self-development, and the arts
Students must be rising 11th or 12th grade at the time of submitting their application and maintain at least a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale. This program is open to all students with an interest in medicine and health disparities. Applicants from underrepresented minority groups in medicine, rural and socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
You must submit your completed application before 5 p.m. on March 8, 2019. We encourage applicants to apply early.
A completed application includes:
- Submitted online application
- Two letters of recommendation submitted online*: (a) Science or math teacher must submit a student evaluation and a letter of recommendation (b) High school counselor recommendation
- Official transcript from your high school counselor
*Teacher and counselor recommendations: In the application, a student must identify a teacher and counselor who will provide recommendations. An email with a link to the MHSPEA recommendation site and password will be sent to the persons listed in the application. The recommender will need the password to enter the MHSPEA recommendation site.