The Office for Health Equity and Inclusion’s inaugural Michigan Medicine Youth Summit at the Big House regional outreach event on Saturday, May 21 is now open to Michigan Medicine faculty, staff and learners!
OHEI has come together with more than 35 Michigan Medicine units and teams to offer this opportunity for exposure to professions and opportunities in medicine to students through their local schools. At the same time, OHEI recognizes the value and significance this opportunity could have for children associated with employees and learners – this includes your children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews, and children you may mentor through religious, social, or community organizations.
All youth with a background underrepresented in health care, as defined below, who (a) are in grades 6-8; (b) affiliated with a Michigan Medicine employee or learner; and (c) have a responsible adult who can attend the event with them on May 21 are invited.
To be considered to have a background underrepresented in health care for purposes of this program, the youth must meet one (or more) of the following criteria:
- Free or reduced-lunch eligible;
- Will be the first person in their immediate family to complete college;
- Is a person with a disability;
- Currently lives in a single-parent household; or
- Has experienced foster care.
Many teammates with eligible youth may not have regular access to email. Here is how you can help spread the word:
- Please consider sharing this opportunity at your huddles or staff meetings.
- Print this flyer and place it in your department’s kitchen, break room or other similar area.
- Share a screenshot of the QR code on the flyer by email or text directly with colleagues that may have an eligible child.
- Share this opportunity with your family and friends.
This daylong event is aimed at engaging and exposing diverse middle school students to Michigan Medicine health care teams units and departments.
Participating youth children will join us for more than 35 hands-on simulations, opportunities for personal connections and resources in preparation for health care career paths.
Space is limited so early registration is recommended at: Youth Summit at the Big House Registration.