Duration: Ten weeks (May 26, 2019 to August 3, 2019)
No. of Participants: 15-20
Location: University of Michigan Medical School
Financial support: Stipend, housing and meal plan provided
The Institute is comprised of residential academies that develop AAMC Core Competencies
Diversity is essential in addressing today’s health disparities - from the students who train to become tomorrow’s scientists and physicians, to the patients who will benefit from their research and care. The Michigan Health Sciences Undergraduate Research Academy (MHSURA) is designed for undergraduate students who want to explore biomedical research and health professional career pathways in a stimulating and inclusive environment.
As a MHSURA Fellow, you will have the opportunity to:
- Choose between a research or a clinical fellowship experience
- Be matched with a faculty mentor based on your career interests
- Join other fellows for a unique experience
- Gain additional insight and understanding of health disparities
- Learn about a broad spectrum of career options in health sciences
- Participate in leadership and professional development seminars
- Exhibit your research or clinical experience at a University of Michigan symposium attended by faculty, staff and students at the end of the program
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal resident
- Have a valid U.S. social security number
- Have completed first year of college before applying to the program
- A minimum cumulative and science GPA of 3.0
Students may not take academic classes or be engaged in other activities that would prevent them from attending all training sessions and adhering to a regular daytime work schedule. Applicants will be evaluated based on the following factors:
- Personal and academic accomplishments
- Successful completion of first-year undergraduate biology and chemistry courses
- College GPA
- A demonstrated interest in a career in medicine or biomedical research
- Demonstrated commitment to helping under-served populations
- Quality of academic recommendations
Please note that students are only eligible to participate in the Michigan Health Sciences Undergraduate Research Academy twice.
This program is open to all students with an interest in medicine and health disparities. Applicants from underrepresented minority groups in medicine, rural and socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
A completed application includes:
- Submitted online application
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation: One of which must be from a science faculty member/instructor
- Official or unofficial transcript from your institution(s)
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact email@example.com.